St Bartholomew's Hospital - 891 years

St Bartholomew's Hospital, also known simply as Barts, or more formally as The Royal Hospital of St Bartholomew is a hospital in Smithfield in the City of London.

Barts is the oldest hospital in Europe, having been founded in 1123, and the oldest in the United Kingdom that still occupies its original site.

It is part of Barts Health NHS Trust.

Barts was founded in 1123 by Rahere (died 1144, and entombed in the nearby priory church of St Bartholomew-the-Great), a favourite courtier of King Henry I. The Dissolution of the Monasteries did not affect the running of Barts as a hospital, but left it in a precarious position by removing its income. It was re-founded by King Henry VIII in December 1546, on the signing of an agreement granting the hospital to the City of London, which was reaffirmed in the Letters Patent of January 1547 endowing it with properties and income. The hospital became legally known as the "House of the Poore in West Smithfield in the suburbs of the City of London of Henry VIII's Foundation", although the title was never used by the general public. The first superintendent of the hospital was Thomas Vicary; sergeant-surgeon to Henry and an early writer on anatomy.

Hogarth's mural of Christ at the Pool of Bethesda.

It was here that William Harvey conducted his research on the circulatory system in the 17th century, Percivall Pottand John Abernethy developed important principles of modern surgery in the 18th century, and Mrs. Bedford Fenwich worked to advance the nursing profession in the late 19th century.

In 1839 to 1872, the mortality reports show that surgical trauma and postoperative infection were the greatest causes of death. Tuberculosis, however, remained the most fatal nontraumatic cause of death.

Upon the foundation of the National Health Service in 1948, it officially became known as St Bartholomew's Hospital.

t is the oldest hospital in Britain that still occupies the site it was originally built on, and has an important current role as well as a long history and architecturally important buildings. The Henry VIII entrance to the hospital is still the main public entrance; the statue of King Henry VIII above the gate is the only public statue of him in London.

The main square was designed by James Gibbs in the 1730s. Of the four original blocks only three survive; they include the block containing the Great Hall and two flanking blocks that contained wards. The first wing to be built was the North wing, in 1732. It is the North wing that contains the Great Hall and the Hogarth murals. The South wing followed in 1740, the West in 1752 and finally the East wing in 1769. In 1859, a fountain was placed in its centre along with a small garden.

St Bartholomew's Hospital has existed on the same site since its founding in the 12th century, surviving both the Great Fire of London and the Blitz. Part-way around the exhibition is a door which opens on to the hospital's official entrance hall. On the walls of the staircase are two murals painted by William HogarthThe Pool of Bethesda (1736) and The Good Samaritan (1737). They can only be seen at close quarters on Friday afternoons. Hogarth was so outraged by the news that the hospital was commissioning art from Italian painters that he insisted on doing these murals free of charge, as a demonstration that English painting was equal to the task. The Pool of Bethesda is of particular medical interest, as it depicts a scene in which Christ cures the sick: display material on the first floor speculates in modern medical terms about the ailments from which Christ's patients in the painting are suffering.

The room to which the staircase leads is the hospital's Great Hall, a double-height room in Baroque style. Although there are a few paintings inside the Great Hall, nearly all are on movable stands: the walls themselves are mostly given over to the display of the very many large, painted plaques which list, in detail, the sums of money given to the hospital by its benefactors. Some of the donations recorded in £sd (pounds, shillings, pence) are odd amounts because they were the remains of an estate after all other bequests had been settled; other odd amounts were donated as round numbers ofguineas but recorded as £sd.

With the dissolution of the monasteries, the precincts of the hospital were designated an Anglican parish, with the parish church of St Bartholomew-the-Less – a unique situation amongst English Hospitals. This is the only survivor of the site's original five chapels; the others failed to survive the dissolution by Henry VIII. The church has a 15th-century tower and vestry, and its links to the hospital can be seen not only in its early-20th century stained glass window of a nurse, a gift of the Worshipful Company of Glaziers, but also in the plaques and commemorations that adorn the inside of the building.

Throughout the whole of the 19th century, the Hardwick family were major benefactors of the hospital. Thomas Hardwick Junior (1752–1825), Philip Hardwick (1792–1870), and Philip Charles Hardwick (1822–92) were all architects/surveyors to Barts. Philip Hardwick was also employed in the rebuilding of the church of St Bartholomew-the-Less in 1823 and also contributed the fountain in the courtyard.

By 1872, Barts contained 676 beds. About 6,000 in-patients were admitted every year, as well as 101,000 out-patients. The average income of the hospital was £40,000 (derived chiefly from rents and funded property) and the number of governors exceeded 300.

In 1993 the controversial Tomlinson review of London hospitals was published and concluded that there were too many hospitals in central London. It recommended that the service should be delivered closer to where people lived. Barts was identified as a hospital with a catchment area that had a low population and the hospital was threatened with closure. A determined campaign was mounted to save the hospital by the 'Save Barts Campaign', supported by staff, residents, local MPs and the City of London, the argument being that a general hospital was needed here, to provide for the needs of the City's daily transient workforce of over 300,000 people.

The courtyard in the early 19th century

Some facilities were saved, but the accident and emergency department closed in 1995, with facilities relocated to theRoyal London Hospital (a hospital in the same Trust group, but a couple of miles away in Whitechapel). A minor injuries unit was established at Barts for small cases (which often represent a significant part of the workload of A&E services) but urgent and major work goes to other hospitals. Concerns about the lack of a local service rose, with the 11 September 2001 New York attacks and 7 July 2005 London bombings, as the City remained a significant terrorism target.

A plan was formulated for Barts to develop as a centre of excellence in cardiac care and cancer. This development again came under threat in a review of the private finance initiative funding in 2006 leading to the 'Save Barts' campaign continuing. These problems were resolved, and new cancer care facilities are scheduled to be opened at Barts and new general wards at the Royal London site. Barts continues to be associated with the medical school's significant research and teaching facilities at the Charterhouse Square site.

The Queen Mary wing has now been demolished, and it is planned to retain the façade of the George V building within a new hospital building. Patients will be accommodated in single rooms, and four-bed bays. A new main entrance will be established on King Edward Street. The Gibbs Square will be refurbished and car parking removed from the area.

Barts, along with the Royal London Hospital and London Chest Hospital, was part of Barts and The London NHS Trust. There are 388 beds in Barts, 675 beds in the Royal London and 109 in the London Chest Hospital. These hospitals amalgamated with Whipps Cross and Newham hospitals on 1 March 2012 to form the Barts Health NHS Trust.

The Great Hall at Barts

In 1843, St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College was established to train medics although considered to have been started by John Abernethy when the hospital built a theatre for his lectures at the beginning of the century. In 1995 the college, along with that attached to the Royal London, merged into Queen Mary University of London, but maintains a distinctive identity to this day. It is now known as Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry. It occupies some space at the Barts site in Smithfield, with a presence a short walk away at Charterhouse Square. The main preclinical teaching domain of the medical school is in Whitechapel at the award-winning Blizard Building.

St. Bartholomew's Hospital, pictured in 2007.

The present School of Nursing and Midwifery was formed in 1994 from merging the Schools from St Bartholomew's Hospital and the Royal London Hospital to become the St Bartholomew School of Nursing & Midwifery. In 1995 the new School was incorporated into the City University. Both Schools have a strong and respected history dating back over 120 years and have produced many nurse leaders and educators. The School has since been incorporated into the School of Health Sciences, City University.

Sourse and Photo: Wkipedia

Harvard University - 378 years
St Bartholomew's Hospital - 891 years The Harvard University Library is the oldest library system in the United States, the largest academic and the largest private library system in the world.
MERCEDES - BENZ: "The best or nothing" - 141 years
St Bartholomew's Hospital - 891 years  Mercedes-Benz is part of the "German Big 3" luxury automakers, along with Audi andBMW, which are the best selling luxury automakers in the world
Coca-Cola: "Open Happiness" - 138 years
St Bartholomew's Hospital - 891 years Originally intended as a patent medicine when it was invented in the late 19th century by John Pemberton, Coca-Cola was bought out by businessman Asa Griggs Candler, whose marketing tactics led Coke to its dominance of the world soft-drink market throughout the 20th century.
WALMART - The largest retailer in the world - 42 years
St Bartholomew's Hospital - 891 years Walmart is the world's largest company by revenue, according to the Fortune Global 500 list in 2014, the biggest private employer in the world with over two million employees, and the largest retailer in the world
SAMSUNG Group - For over 70 years to contribute to a better world.
St Bartholomew's Hospital - 891 years According to the founder of Samsung Group, the meaning of the Korean hanja word Samsung (三星) is "tristar" or "three stars". The word "three" represents something "big, numerous and powerful"
bên phải recordsbên phải trên record bên phải trên world record university
piano giá rẻ piano cũ bán piano giá piano cũ